Most institutions and schools advise a free trial session or two or an introductory program at a low cost.
In this technologically advanced era, martial arts can be a healthy and positive activity for kids. To be fair with martial arts, it allows your kids to learn discipline, respect, and above all a potential self-defense. But with a dizzying display of martial arts benefits, it can be laborious to choose the top one.
Every discipline needs somewhat diverse skills and ways to be victorious. Depending on the interest of kids, they are apt favor one over the other martial arts techniques. Getting the right match starts by knowing each martial art technique, its discipline, and its philosophy. This will enable you to select the most appropriate martial art form for your kids.
How to Decide on the Most Suitable Martial Art for Children?
As there is no particular martial art for kids, Liam from Fighterculture has sorted six most liked martial arts styles. These martial art styles usually fall in functional martial arts courses for children.
It is the first on our martial art list. It is the form of Korean art that is famous for effective kicking. It is most probably the most demanded martial art technique. Taekwondo gives a powerful opening to martial arts techniques for kids. It combines the conventional values coupled with advanced athletic procedures. Various martial arts academies and sessions offer dedicated Taekwondo sessions for kids of all ages.
It is the second on the most in-demand martial art on the list. Judo is of Japanese origin. It is preeminent in eastern martial arts incorporated in the contemporary Olympic Games. Primarily, judo concentrates on takedowns and throws. Every kid should learn judo because it involves submissions and locks.
Judo is an exceptional martial art style that improves the body control of kids during any dangerous situation. Many academies and institutes offer separate judo sessions for children of all ages.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
It is commonly known as BJJ. The martial art technique has the origin in Brazil. The martial art style stresses on-ground martial arts procedures. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu established the concept that shorter individuals can victoriously protect themselves against a more robust and giant opponent. BJJ martial arts technique provides a supporting style. It takes the battle to the ground level. The institutions that offer mixed martial arts and freestyle martial arts provide BJJ sessions for kids of all ages.
It is the latest martial art technique. Kickboxing is the combination of conventional martial arts like karate and taekwondo and western-style fisticuffs boxing. It allows practitioners of mixed martial arts to fight against each other in the ring. Kickboxing centers mainly on the gaming form of punching and kicking martial arts techniques.
Usually, kickboxing does not involve the conventional perspectives of the martial arts. Such aspects include Poomsae, patterns, self-defense, or kata training. Numerous academies teach kickboxing skills as a section of the sparring session of their junior martial arts program.
This martial art style centers around hand defending and attacking. Most boxing associations and boxing clubs offer boxing classes for kids of six or seven years and up. And kids can acquire boxing skills in a controlled and safe environment using punching dummies. Boxing is similar to kickboxing because it also focuses on ring competition. And this is the critical point that it is not suitable for many kids.
- Freestyle Martial Arts and MMA
It is the blend of all the best martial arts styles stated above. Freestyle MMA empowers kids to strike utilizing their knees, hands, elbows, and feet. It also takes their antagonist to the ground via submission and locks techniques to defeat the opponent. Numerous institutes are offering various Freestyle Martial arts and MMA courses and sessions for kids of all ages.
Helpful Suggestions to Pick the Best Martial Art style for Your Kid
As discussed above, there are various martial arts styles and forms ranging from BJJ to taekwondo. Many institutions and academies are offering all sessions of martial art styles. Now, we have crafted few tips by which you can select the right martial art style for your kids.
- Free trial martial arts lessons: Most institutions and schools advise a free trial session or two or an introductory program at a low cost. Free trial is the way to check the best fit martial art training for your kids. Along with that, these low-cost or free programs find the inner potential of many kids.
- Highly-trained and Professional teachers: Most significantly, one should look for highly skilled martial arts instructors for our kids. Therefore, always check for respective certifications like Taekwondo’s Kukkiwon certificates. Professional instructors will instill the best martial art techniques in your children.
- Student to Instructor ratios: It is significant to select the institution with appropriate children teacher ratios. The more concentrated class has lesser learning potential. And such environments are not learning ones, especially for newbies and beginners. Therefore, consider the institutions that offer five to six students under one instructor.
- Age-appropriate and Comprehensive curriculum: It is critical to consider the curriculum before admitting your kid to any martial arts learning center. If the curriculum has not a specific outline, it is useless. And you will be ending up wasting your money and your children’s time. Therefore, a comprehensive and age-appropriate curriculum is the most essential to ponder before admitting your kids to any school.
- Safe and tidy training facilities: All martial arts academies should offer safe, secure, and clean training conditions for kids. It is significant to inspect all necessary training classroom conditions. All the floors should have training mats. The facility should have all the training aids. There should be changing facilities and clean toilets available as well.
- Separate Classes for distinct age groups and experience: It is the best practice to segregate the training rooms as per age groups and student experience. Your child needs to get the best possible results from their coaching. Hence, inspect all the significant features of the selected institutions.
So, invest some time in researching the best martial arts learning institution for your kids. And prepare your children for the challenging world.