Blue Grass Quality Meats is recalling certain products that were misbranded and may contain undeclared allergens.
Earlier this week, Blue Grass Quality Meats of Erlanger, KY issued a recall of nearly 121,083 pounds of ready-to-eat turkey and pork bacon products due to undeclared allergens and misbranding. According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS), the recalled products “contain soy, a known allergen, which is not declared on the product labels.”
As stated in the recall notice, the products, which include “Cajun-style bacon and ready-to-eat Cajun-style turkey breast items were produced on various dates from Oct. 29, 2018, to Nov. 19, 2019.” The specific products affected by the recall include the following, according to the recall notice:
- Various weights of shrink-wrap packages containing “BLUE GRASS CAJUN STYLE TURKEY BREAST” with sell-by dates from 7/1/19 to 1/9/20.
- Various weights of shrink-wrap packages containing “OLDE WORLD Cajun Style TURKEY BREAST” with sell-by dates from 7/1/19 to 1/1/20.
- Various weights of shrink-wrap packages containing “Robinson’s PREMIUM Cajun Style Turkey Breast” with sell-by dates from 7/12/19 to 1/16/20.
- Various weights of shrink-wrap packages containing “Troyer CAJUN STYLE TURKEY BREAST” with sell-by dates from 7/18/19 to 1/21/20.
- Various weights of vacuum-sealed packages containing “Troyer CAJUN STYLE BACON” with sell-by dates from 1/28/19 to 2/19/20.
All of the affected products have the establishment number ‘P-7417’ or ‘EST. 7417’ printed inside the USDA mark of inspection and were shipped to retailers throughout Michigan, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Ohio.
Fortunately, there have been no reports of consumers experiencing adverse reactions from consuming the products. Despite that, FSIS is still worried that some of the recalled products may be in retailer’s coolers or consumer’s freezers and refrigerators. Because of that, the agency is urging retailers to discontinue the sale of the affected products, and for consumers who have the products to either toss them or return them for a refund. If you or someone you know has additional questions or concerns about the recall, contact David Kegley, VP Sales and Marketing, Blue Grass Quality Meats, at (859) 331-7100.