·  Legal News, Analysis, & Commentary


My Roof is Leaking! Can I get the Whole Roof Replaced Under Insurance?

— March 8, 2019

Not all homeowners’ insurance is created equal. Some policies may only cover part of the problem when it comes to getting your roof replaced.

Homeowners insurance can often be difficult to navigate especially when your home requires major repairs. If your roof is leaking for example, it’s not always easy to know whether you could get the whole roof repaired under insurance with your current policy.

Typical homeowners’ insurance may cover some of the roof damage, but it ultimately comes down to what actually caused the damage. Most insurance policies will cover fallen tree damage or hail damage, but it is important to consider a variety of other insurance coverage to protect your roof and to make sure you are covered.

Raindrops; image by Inge Maria, via
Raindrops; image by Inge Maria, via

Most insurance policies will not cover the cost of a roof repair on an unattached structure. This means that if you have a workshop, detached garage or a shed, it’s very important that you get protection on those other structures as well.

Your deductible and coverage limit will also come into play when it comes to paying for the overall repairs. You could be responsible for paying out of pocket up to 5% of the total cost of repairs depending on your coverage. No matter what may have damaged the roof, you could be responsible for paying up to your coverage limit and deductible just to get your roof replaced under insurance.

If you have any questions about the process of filing an insurance claim or what you might be covered for with your insurance policy, contact us today.

This post was written by Kelly-Anne Jenkins of Jenkins Law P.L. Jenkins Law specializes in Insurance Claim attorney services. The information on this post is not intended to and does not offer legal advice, legal recommendations or legal representation on any matter. Hiring an attorney is an important decision, which should not be based on advertising. You need to consult an attorney for legal advice regarding your individual situation.

Join the conversation!