Who doesn’t enjoy the convenience of ready-to-eat chicken? Unfortunately, the well-known New Holland, Pa. establishment, Tyson Foods, has decided to recall nearly “2,485,374 pounds of ready-to-eat (RTE) breaded chicken products due to misbranding and undeclared allergens.” What kind of undeclared allergens did the company forget to include on the labels? Milk. The labels failed to mention that the products “could contain milk, a known allergen” that many people are sensitive to.
The mislabeling was discovered earlier this month when Tyson Foods received a report from an “ingredient supplier that the bread crumbs the company received and used in the recalled products potentially contained undeclared milk.” So what products are included in the recall, and what should consumers do if they have one of the recalled products? For starters, the recall includes the following products:
- 31.86-lb. bulk cases of “Tyson FULLY COOKED, WHOLE GRAIN STRIP-SHAPED CHICKEN PATTIE FRITTERS-CN” with case code 003859-0928 and production dates of 09/09/2016, 10/05/2016, 10/14/2016, 10/15/2016, 11/09/2016, 12/10/2016, 12/30/2016 and 01/14/2017.
- 31.05-lb. bulk cases of “Tyson FULLY COOKED, WHOLE GRAIN CHICKEN PATTIE FRITTERS-CN” with case code 003857-0928 and production dates of 11/12/2016.
- 30.6-lb. bulk cases of “Tyson FULLY COOKED, WHOLE GRAIN BREADED CHICKEN PATTIES-CN” with case code 016477-0928 and production dates of 09/10/2016, 09/16/2016, 09/23/2016, 09/30/2016 and 10/06/2016.
- 30.6-lb. bulk cases of “Tyson FULLY COOKED, WHOLE GRAIN CHUNK-SHAPED BREADED CHICKEN PATTIES-CN” with case code 016478-0928 and production dates of 09/16/2016, 09/28/2016 and 10/06/2016.
- 20.0-lb. bulk cases of “Tyson FULLY COOKED, BREADED CHICKEN PATTIES-CN” with case code 005778-0928 and production dates of 09/14/2016, 09/19/2016 and 10/03/2016.
- 32.81-lb. bulk cases of “Tyson FULLY COOKED, WHOLE GRAIN GOLDEN CRISPY CHICKEN CHUNK FRITTERS-CN CHUNK-SHAPED CHICKEN PATTIE FRITTERS” with case code 070364-0928, packaging and production date of 08/17/2016.
- 20-lb bulk cases of “SPARE TIME, Fully Cooked Breaded Chicken Patties” with case code 005778-0861 and production date of 10/03/2016.
- 20-lb bulk cases of “SPARE TIME, Fully Cooked Chicken Pattie Fritters” with case code 016477-0861 and production date of 09/16/2016 and 10/06/2016.
Additionally, the recalled products “bear establishment number P-1325 inside the USDA mark of inspection,” and were shipped nationwide for institutional use, such as schools. Fortunately, no reports of illness or adverse reactions have been reported. For the time being, those who have any of the recalled products should throw them away or return them for a refund. Further questions related to the recall should be directed to Christina Self, Supervisor-Consumer Relations, at (866) 328-3156.