A criminal prosecutor is responsible for trying the case against the accused in the trial. A criminal defense attorney’s role is the opposite of a prosecutor.
When an unfortunate incident happens, hiring a criminal lawyer is the ideal approach to seeking justice. A criminal attorney can help you get the justice you need claim. Let’s explore what a criminal prosecutor and defense attorney are and their importance in the criminal justice system.
Criminal lawyer – a brief
The criminal attorney plays a crucial role in the US justice system. A criminal justice attorney is a qualified and licensed lawyer. They are highly professional and experienced legal representatives responsible for representing the state or the criminal defendant.
Criminal prosecutor Vs. Criminal Defense attorney
A criminal prosecutor is responsible for trying the case against the accused in the trial. There is a lot of responsibility on the prosecutor – from collecting evidence to proving the defendant guilty. The prosecutor is an employee of the state or the deferral authorities.
Some of the responsibilities of the criminal prosecutor are:
- To decide whether to file criminal charges against the suspect or not.
- To research the facts and collate the evidence of the incident.
- To ascertain if the collected evidence and supporting information are sufficient to file charges.
- To make decisions to engage in plea bargains or not with the defendant’s lawyer.
- Collect more information from the witnesses and review the testimonials.
- Attend the trials to present the evidence to the jury.
- Maintain cordial relations with the judges, court members, defense counsel, and other legal representatives.
A criminal defense attorney’s role is the opposite of a prosecutor. They are representing the alleged criminal for the trial. Their responsibility is providing information to the defendant and giving proper legal advice during the trial. If you are the defendant and struggling to hire a professional, the state shall provide a public defender to proceed with the lawsuit. Their primary responsibility starts before the trials, which involve protecting the suspect and gathering information from police proceedings and other legal authorities.
Some of the significant tasks of a criminal defense attorney are:
- Supporting the suspect and assisting in front of the police with interrogations.
- Assist the suspect with all the pre-trial proceedings.
- To take decisions with the plea negotiations with the prosecutor.
- Try to work out with the prosecutor to reduce the charges or sentence period.
- Carry in-depth research of the facts and evidence that might point against the defense.
- To actively defend the suspect during all the court proceedings.
- Interviewing the witnesses and key personnel to gather authentic testimonials
- Filing and re-filing of appeal if required.
You can always check online for professional criminal justice lawyers from the Law Office of Daniel Deng and get a free first consultation.