Certain eye drops sold at Walgreens and Walmart were recently recalled because they may not be sterile.
Do you use eye drops? If so, this recall is for you. Earlier this month, a variety of eye drops were recalled over concerns they may not be sterile, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The recalled eye drops were sold at Walgreens and Walmart and were produced by Altaire Pharmaceuticals Inc.
According to the recall notice, the affected products sold at Walmart are marketed under the Equate brand name and are meant to help relieve a variety of eye-related ailments, including allergy relief. Certain Equate eye drop solutions and gel drops are also included in the recall, as are several Perrigo prescription ointments. The specific Walmart eye drops including in the recall are as follow:
- Lubricant Eye Drops Moisturizing: 0363-0185-13; lot 19095.
- Lubricant Eye Drops Moisturizing Twin Pack: 0363-0185-49; lot 19095.
- Sodium Chloride Ophthalmic Ointment, 5% Hypertonicity Eye Ointment: 0363-7500-50; lot TCI.
- Sodium Chloride Ophthalmic Solution, 5% Hypertonicity Eye Drops: 0363-0193-13; lots 19105 and 19050.
- Lubricant Eye Ointment PF Soothing: 0363-0191-50; lot TDB.
The recalled products sold at Walgreens include “several over-the-counter and prescription eye drops and ophthalmic ointments, including moisturizing eye drops, sodium chloride ophthalmic ointment, sodium chloride ophthalmic solution and lubricant eye ointment.” The following are the specific Walgreens products included in the recall:
- Equate Restore Tears Lubricant Eye Drops Twin Pack: 49035-189-49.
- Equate Eye Allergy Relief Drops: 49035-887-13.
- Equate Sterile Lubricant Stye Ointment: 49035-875-50.
- Equate Comfort Gel Lubricant Eye Gel Twin Pack: 49035-197-49.
- Equate Restore PM Nighttime Lubricant Eye Ointment: 49035-191-50.
- Equate Night & Day Restore Tears Lubricant Eye Pack: 49035-883-59.
- Equate Support Advanced Twin Pack: 49035-885-49.
- Equate Support Advanced Lubricating Eye Drops Dose Preservative Free: 49035-882-54.
- Equate Support Advanced Lubricant Gel Drops Multi Dose Preservative Free: 49035-882-52.
- Equate Support Moisture Lubricant Eye Drops: 49035-145-10.
- Support Harmony Lubricant Eye Drops: 49035-145-10.
The recall notes the use of the affected products pose a safety risk and states:
“Administration of a nonsterile product intended to be sterile may result in serious and potentially life-threatening infections or death.”
Fortunately, there have been no reports of anyone experiencing adverse reactions when using the products.
Several eye drops and ointment sold at Walgreens and Walmart recalled
Eye drops sold at Walmart, Walgreens recalled because they may not be sterile
Join the conversation!